The Western Innovation (WINN) Initiative offers repayable contributions to western Canadian businesses with less than 500 employees, to bring innovative products, processes and services to market.
The Western Innovation (WINN) Initiative is a five-year, $100 million federal funding initiative that offers repayable contributions to western Canadian businesses with less than 500 employees, to bring innovative products, processes and services to market.
A small and medium-sized enterprise (SME) can submit applications for more than one project, either during a single application intake period or over the course of the five-year WINN Initiative. However, the total request for funding for a single project (or application) cannot exceed $3.5 million, and the total funding granted to a single recipient over course of the WINN Initiative cannot exceed $7.5 million.
Type of Assistance
Repayable contributions will be available to SMEs that meet the following eligibility and application criteria.
Businesses funded under the WINN program must:
- be incorporated to conduct business in Canada
- be less than 500 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees (i.e., SMEs)
- be in operation for at least one year
- have operating facilities located in Western Canada (defined as British Columbia,
- Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba)
- have a viable plan to commercialize (generate revenues from sales) an innovative, technology-driven, new or improved product, service or process within three years of project commencement
- have sufficient intellectual property rights to carry out the proposed project and commercially exploit the results of the project
- have confirmed, at the time of application, funding from non-governmental sources that should total at least 50 percent of the proposed project costs
Eligible activities include, but are not limited to:
- introduction of a new product, process or service to new or existing markets
- improvement of products, processes or services
- technology development/acceleration
- product certifications, including Controlled Goods Registration
- pilot projects (first user) and technology demonstration projects
- validation of market potential and end-user acceptance
- support for marketing, human resource development, productivity, and process or quality improvement directly related to the commercialization of new opportunities
Western Economic Diversification
712 – 240 Graham Ave.
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 0J7
Toll free: 1-888-338-WEST (9378)